Many businesses will request a wall sign to promote their business. At Cherwell we offer a number of different wall sign systems, from company logo signs, to projecting wall signs and custom wall sign trays. Here we outline 5 common types, and how they compare.
1. Wall Sign Aluminium Trays
These are very popular due to their neat appearance and flexibility. The Signtray 50 system is made from aluminium composite material (ACM) which has many advantages over solid aluminium. Key benefits of this system include:
- Very neat appearance
- No visible fixings
- Wide choice of base colours from stock
- Customise easily with vinyl graphics or digital print
- Can be fret-cut for special effects and illumination
- Robust and vandal-resistant
- Large sizes possible – up to 3.95 x 1.9m in one piece
2. Framed Wall Sign System
A close relative of the aluminium sign tray, the Wallsign 60 system uses the same great ACM material for the main face panel, but instead of folding it into a tray, it is secured within a very neat aluminium frame. The main difference with this option is the appearance that the frame provides. The frame is available in 3 popular stock finishes, which compliment the main panel.
- Many of the benefits of ACM wall sign trays
- Attractive “framed appearance”
- Not available as fret-cut or illuminated
3. Sign Frame Extrusion System
Sign framing systems made from extruded aluminium have been around for many years, and Sign Frame 30 is a well-trusted and reliable system. They are designed to neatly hold a panel, or series of panels, with a hidden suspension strip along the top edge. Although the design tends to have a slightly dated appearance, they do have one advantage over more modern framed systems, in that the panel is suspended on the top only, rather than being fixed all around. For larger foam PVC panels that might expand or contract, this ensures that the panel stays flat. The extrusions are available 5 standard finishes and come in 6m lengths. The signs can be assembled on site, so large multi-panel wall signs are easy to transport and install.
4. Flat cut Letters
Creating a wall sign from individually cut letters or a company logo is very powerful and can suit many situations. With modern CNC sign routers this is a fast and efficient option. A wide variety of materials and thicknesses can be used, from foamed PVC, acrylic or ACM, to Polycarbonate, MDF or other woods. Larger letters and logos can be illuminated. Features of this type of wall sign include:
- Makes your message stand out
- Can utilise an existing background – eg an attractive masonry wall
- Each letter must have individual fixing points, which can be time-consuming during installation
- Unless very securely fixed, they can be prone to vandalism
- Single use only – any message changes require re-making and re-installation
5. Flat fixed panels
Flat wall signs such as Axis Acrylic Panels are very popular for smaller signs, where a single piece of acrylic, ACM or foam board can be decorated with vinyl graphics or digital print and fixed to the wall with decorative wall fixings. They are very cost effective. Installation could be more difficult, particularly for larger signs, as there is little or no scope for choosing the fixing point positions. The main features are:
- Simple and effective
- Lower cost than most systems
- Can be re-lettered if required
- Little scope for choosing fixing point positions
Other Wallsign Types
Apart from the main systems outlined above, there are, of course, many other types, including light box signs, projecting wall signs, poster frames and directory-type signs. For more help in choosing the right system for your application speak to the Cherwell experts today.